Articles ofthe Belt and RoadTropical Medical Alliance
Chapter One General Provisions
Article 1 Establishment of the alliance
"The Belt and Road tropical medical alliance" is inspired by the strategy of the "One Belt＆One Road Initiative" and to respond positively to World Health Organization's call for strengthening tropical disease prevention and research. It is jointly proposed and established by institutions of higher learning, medical institutions, scientific institutions and public health institutionsof the countries along the Belt and Road.
The Chinese name of the alliance is: “一带一路”热带医学联盟
The English name of the alliance is: "The Belt and Road" Tropical Medical Alliance. (from now on referred to as "BRTMA")
Article 2 The BRTMA is a non-profit international social organization, mainly composed but not limited to, ofinstitutions of higher learning, medical institutions, scientific institutions and public health institutions related to tropical medicine in countries and regions participating in the "Belt and Road" initiative.
Article 3 The Secretariat of the BRTMA is located at the Hainan Medical University. Address: No. 3 Xueyuan Road, Longhua District, Haikou, Hainan, People's Republic of China. Hainan, People's Republic of Chinais the permanent site of Congress of the BRTMA.
Article 4 Co-founders of the BRTMA
The BRTMA was established by the first initiative of Hainan Medical University, and the initiative was positively responded by other institutional stakeholders. (The list needs to be listed after statistics)
Article 5 Purpose and Vision of the BRTMA
In accordance with the principles of voluntariness, equality, cooperation and development, the BRTMAmembers actively advocate the spirit of "cooperation, innovation and seeking reality", and promote the formation of good quality resources sharing, strong union and mutual cooperation.In order to improve the overall tropical medical service ability of the countries and regions participating in the "Belt and Road" initiativeand play a leading role and radiation in the world, to enhance people's health of global tropical areas and to eliminate tropical diseases. At the same time, encourage long-term alliance between members of the BRTMA, enhance the research level of tropical medicine among the BRTMA members, and achieve sustainable development of the BRTMA.
Article 6 The principal activities of the BRTMA include but not limited to:
(1) Carrying out tracking study and significant research on tropical medicine, releasing reports and other achievements of tropical medicine, jointly carrying out key research programs or international projects by taking advantage of its members in their scientific research.
(2) Organizing and holding various significant events regarding tropical medicine to promote international cooperation and exchange. The BRTMA shall encourage and support inter-institutional academic exchange among faculties and teachers, jointly organize various high-level academic forums for tropical medicine and strive to enhance the academic atmosphere and academic standards of the BRTMA members.
(3) The BRTMA shall promote the establishment of a platform to promote the relevant pragmatic cooperation among the member medical institutions, build up open think tank with the multidisciplinary composition to promote international medical cooperation in a rapid way. Expediting the application and popularization of tropical medicine proprietary technologies, products, and services in the main sectors, and dissemination of tropical medicine content.
(4) The BRTMA enhances cooperation among the member schools in the field of tropical medicine and promotes the development and enhancement of disciplines related to the tropical medicine of the countries along the Belt and Road and its cross-cutting development, by complementing each other's strengths, actively promoting the exchange of disciplines, cooperation of projects, co-compilation of textbooks and materials, sharing of information and data resources among the member institutions. Establishing a platform for academic research, information exchange, resource sharing and win-win cooperation, so as to achieve joint development of the BRTMA members.
(5) Promoting the establishment of talent cultivation fund of tropical medicine, provide scholarships for outstanding talent for universities and research institutions related to tropical medicine in countries and regions participating in the "Belt and Road" initiative. A joint training base of innovative professionals shall be established for the countries along the Belt and Road to carry out the training and cultivation of innovative. Coordinate the exchange of visits with high-level foreign experts; strengthen teacher exchanges, student exchange, student internships and other management cooperation among the BRTMA members.
(6) Strengthening the BRTMA members in-depth cooperation in clinical diagnosis and treatment of tropical diseases and prevention, and improving the health level of people along the country Belt and Road Initiative; Promoting the BRTMA members to establish joint tropical medicine research institutions(or Joint Laboratory).
Article 7 Applicable Laws
All the activities carried out by the BRTMA apply the laws of the People's Republic of China.
Chapter Two Rights and Obligations of Member Institutions
Article 8 Colleges and universities, scientific research institutions, laboratory, pharmaceutical enterprises, public bodies, research and services organizations related to tropical medicine in countries and regions participating in the "Belt and Road" initiative and research institutions around the world. Engaged in business contributing to global tropical medicine development, and accepting these Articles of Association, are qualified to apply for membership of the BRTMA. Approved applicants will become members of the BRTMA who may exercise rights and shall assume obligations of accession.
Founding members are those who participate in establishing the BRTMA and voluntarily abide by the Charter.
Joining members are those who participate in the BRTMA after its establishment and voluntarily abide by the Charter.
Article 9 The BRTMA members are entitled to the following basic rights
(1) Attending Council meetings of the BRTMA, and possess the rights to elect and to be elected;
(2) Priority in having the services provided by the BRTMA;
(3) Representativescan be appointedto work for the Secretariatand specializedacademic committees;
(4) Participating in all major events and daily activities of the BRTMA;
(5) Reporting general issues and offering advices and proposals to the Council and the Secretariat;
(6) Applying for voluntarily withdrawal from the BRTMA.
Article 10 Members of the BRTMA shall fulfill the following obligations:
(1) Complying with these Articles of Association, implementing resolutions approved by the BRTMA;
(2) Uniting and cooperating with each other, protecting the reputation and lawful rights and interests of the BRTMA;
(3) Completing tasks assigned by the BRTMA, actively participating in activities and meetings held by the BRTMA;
(4) To facilitate daily operation, Council Members shall appoint contactor to communicate with the Secretariat.
Article 11 Procedures of Application for Membership of the BRTMA
(1) Submit the Membership Application, Member Registration Form and other documents required by the BRTMA to the Secretariat;
(2) The qualification of the applicant shall be reviewed by the Secretariat, discussed by the Council and approved by the Secretariat upon deliberation;
(3) Approved applicant willbe awarded the Membership Certificate of the BRTMA by the Secretariat or body authorized by the Secretariat.
Article 12 The BRTMA will disqualify membership in any of the following circumstances:
(1) The operation of the legal person or organization terminated;
(2) The member committed grave violations of these Articles of Association or work regulations, and hindered the proper operation of the BRTMA;
(3) The member doesnot present any meeting or activity held by the BRTMA in two years and does not take any corrective action after being warnedby the Secretariat;
(4) The member intentionally damages the reputation of the BRTMA, or brings negative effects to the BRTMA or its other members;
Chapter Three Organizational Structure
Article 13 The Council board will be set up under the BRTMA, acting as its supreme organ. The First Council Board shall be composed of its founding members. Starting from the Second Council Board, the Council board members shall be elected by its members. The chairperson of the Council board and the vice chairperson shall be rotated by the member universities for a term of three years. The Council board meets once a year. The chairperson of the Council board may convene an interim meeting as required. The Council board meeting shall be held only when over half of its members may be able to attend.
Article 14 Main Duties of the Council Board
(1) Formulate and revise the charter and management system of the BRTMA;
(2) Validate work plan of the BRTMA;
(3) Accept new members;
(4) Prepare for and hold the Council meetings;
(5) Assistthe member institutions to implementthe BRTMA's activities;
(6) Discuss other major issues of the BRTMA;
(7) Elect the standing Council, which performs the function of the Council board during inter-sessional period.
Article 15 Director of the BRTMA Council
(1) On behalf of the BRTMA to sign important documents;
(2) Convening and hosting a conference of members of the BRTMA;
(3) Preside over the daily work of the BRTMA;
(4) Decision other major issues of the BRTMA.
Article 16 The Council board of the BRTMA shall set up a secretariat which is located in Hainan Medical University, China. The secretariat is the daily affairs agency of the BRTMA under the leadership of the Council board. The duties of the secretariat are to guide and coordinate the work of its member institutions; make recommendations to the Council on the revision of the charter and on the organization of the BRTMA's internal management system; and to draft the BRTMA's annual work plan and to prepare of the annual implementation report according to the proposals of the Council; to formulate the agenda of the Council meetings and etc.The members of the Secretariat are appointed by the president of the Council.
Article 17 The BRTMA will regularly organizeForum on Tropical Medicine in Boao, China, and employs authoritative experts in the field of tropical medicine as the president of the conference worldwide, whose main duties are academic guidance.
Chapter Four Supplementary articles
Article 18 When there are any issues to be added, the Secretariat shall propose amendments based on the proposals of the BRTMA members to its Council board for consideration and approval.
Article 19 This Charter shall be effective after being voted by the BRTMA Council meeting.
Article 20 The Secretariat of the BRTMA reserves the right to interpret these Articles of Association.